Sunday, September 25, 2011

Felix Learns to Ride a Bike


Felix and I had some time so we decided to take a bike ride up to the local park. The park's basketball court offers a wide smooth surface that Felix enjoys riding on. While he's cruising around he's attempting to balance his bike so that the training wheels on either side don't touch the ground. After about twenty minutes or so Felix says to me, "Dad, I want to go home."
"You want to go now?" I confirm.
"Yeah, I want you to take the training wheels off. I want to try riding without them"
"Alright" I say "Let's go"
"Yeah, and if I don't like it we can just put them back on" Felix says, matter-of-factly.
We get home and remove the training wheels. I hold Felix up as he learns to push off with one foot while pressing the pedal with the other foot. When he begins his ride, I'm running right behind with my hands hovering over his shoulders. After a few rides I begin to give him more space. Very soon he has it and he wants to try turns. I move the car from the driveway and grab the camera. Above is his first ride with a turn.

No comments: